Nepenthe, American Belly Dancer

Nepenthe is a belly dancer in Boston, Massachusetts.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Day of Arabic Folkloric Dance

Today's Arab Folkloric Dance workshop with Karim Nagi was illuminating as always. I think my favorite part was learning the men's style of Raqs Assaya. I thought it might be similar to what Shadia taught us when we started flipping the sticks - but he showed me an even easier way to do it (with the same visual effect). I learned a lot of new moves, new ways to spin the cane, and also got the breakdown on how to do certain moves I had seen in videos.

I just loved the men's style so much that it's a pity that we ladies are not really supposed to do it! Although I guess it leave something to men to do ... and with my son picking up my cane all the time to toy with it, maybe he will someday be my backup Saidi dancer. :-) Doing the men's style dancing gave me the same awesome feeling as when I used to do boxing, I guess because it was a martial art. It was a relief not to have to feel graceful and light, as much as I obviously enjoy that too. I partnered up with Goddess Moe for the mock tahtib section and we just had a lot of fun at it. I was totally inspired to go home and review the choreography we have written so far for the Shepherd scene in Raks Nativity to see if any of these new movements will fit.

We also did zikr, a type of sufi dance that is meant for worship and transcendental experiences. I think it was all too short but worth learning more about. All too short I say because we couldn't go in depth with it like we did with spinning and zar at the Arab Dance Seminar a few years back. But a good length to get a taste of it and to learn more about that culture. Karim shared some experiences he had had.

Then we moved on to debke. Fourth debke workshop I've taken now (three of those were with Karim). I still haven't quite gotten to the point where I can take my eyes off the feet and just enjoy it, but it's definitely getting easier. For both Debke and Saidi, I felt like I was getting more of the subtleties this time because I had previously been exposed to the basics.

Overall, a great day down at the World Dance and Music Center.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home