Nepenthe, American Belly Dancer

Nepenthe is a belly dancer in Boston, Massachusetts.

Monday, March 3, 2008

NBDA People's Choice 2008

The NBDA "People's Choice" awards was very successful, raising over $2,000 for the Transition House Boston. I thoroughly enjoyed the event, and even won "Best Costume" for my new pink Pharaonics 1001 Nights. My prize was two tickets to Layaleena, and I'm excited to go see some top-notch Boston bellydancers.

I was interviewed for the Boston Globe, and I may be in next Sunday's issue. I never trust newspapers, because you never know what exactly will be quoted. I talked to him right after my performance, and all I remember saying is "You can't be just a dancer, you also have to be a star!" Star is my keyword lately for being an entertainer. And it's true - it's the whole package. Not only do you have to be a great dancer, but you have to project your energy and engage your audience. Having an inspiring appearance doesn't hurt either. At the same time, Fifi Abdo can wear a simple white galabeya and bring an audience to its knees. But I'm not Fifi Abdo, so I put 110% into my costume and makeup. Some of the fun in performing is getting to wear more glitter and sequins than you could ever get away with in "real life".

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home