Nepenthe, American Belly Dancer

Nepenthe is a belly dancer in Boston, Massachusetts.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cocktail: A Cabaret Bellydance Workout

I am reviewing the aforementioned World Dance New York DVD release. It is another line in their dance workout DVDs. I own the trio Luscious, Love Potion and Hard Candy and you may have read my reviews of those products. My main complaint was that the music used was not at all bellydance music. Cocktail not only meets that need with true bellydance classics, but it also keeps it exciting by following the American Cabaret 5-Part routine. The thirty minute workout has two full routines, with everything from the chiftetelli to the drum solo and even a karsilama. There is an optional 60 minute beginner's drill section to learn the movements. A non-beginner may want to review just to get the cueing as Tanna Valentine may use different terms than one's own training, but as a 9-year veteran of bellydance classes, I was able to pick up the workout choreography on the first runthrough just by watching and following along. Because it is short, easy to follow, and has a lot of variety, I can see myself picking this DVD out of the workout DVD pile more often than its sister DVDs.

I was totally flashing back to my many years of classes with Amira Jamal, with the music and many of the movements – to the point where I wondered if Tanna and Amira come from the same New York American Cabaret lineage (and it turned out that they did share a number of teachers though they wouldn't have crossed paths as 20 years separate their dance careers in New York).

It was easy, as I mentioned, to follow along to the simple choreographies, suitable for a beginner class recital piece. The DVD covers a full range of movements from percussive hip hits to lyrical arms. I was actually sweating by the end, during the rousing Mastika finale. Let me repeat how thrilled I was that this workout DVD brings the real bellydance music and the 5-part routine to a broader audience. I also liked having the real music because I found it more inspiring and fun to dance along with – the choreography was simple – yet musical. Tanna managed to keep it clear and easy to follow while also following the phrases of the music.

This DVD also includes a bonus make-up section, a selling point for me. I had also won a gift certificate from my workplace that made it possible for me to buy this lighthearted, but not necessarily essential DVD. Overall, I would say that it's a great DVD for a beginner – far superior to the Neena and Veena DVDs. However, for an advanced dancer, it would not provide enough of a challenge. Nevertheless, sometimes I just need a no-brainer workout. I could also argue that you could – as I did – modify the workout by adding your own style and flair, putting a shimmy on top of movements, or ornamenting the hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home